Recipe for cooking gingerbread in the Czech Republic
Ginger cookies are an indispensable attribute of the New Year in the Czech Republic, a Christmas tree decoration, a gift in the Advent calendar and just a delicious treat for yourself and your loved ones. In the Czech Republic, gingerbread cookies begin to bake a month before Christmas when the Advent period comes. The secret of the recipe for gingerbread in the Czech Republic is that the longer they lie, the softer and tastier they become. How to make gingerbread in the Czech Republic?
The composition of Czech gingerbread:
• 150 grams of honey,
• 50 gr. butter,
• 250 gr. sugar,
• 3 eggs,
• 5 tablespoons of milk (75 ml),
• 500 gr. flour,
• 1 teaspoon of soda,
• 1 tablespoon of spice mixture (traditional spices: cloves, anise, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, star anise).
1 tablespoon corresponds to 15 gr. or 15 ml.
1 teaspoon corresponds to 5 gr.or 5 ml.
What czech gingerbread is made of
• 1 protein,
• 1 tablespoon of corn starch (potato starch can also be used),
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice,
• about 180 gr. powdered sugar (you may need a little more).
• Dissolve honey with butter, over low heat, add sugar. Cook, stirring, until the mixture becomes homogeneous.
• Cool, add 2 eggs and 1 yolk. Add milk, mix. Add soda and spices. Gradually stir in the flour, knead the dough until smooth.
• Put the dough in a bag and put it in the refrigerator, leave it there for a few days.
• Roll out the dough on a floured surface, 0.5 cm thick.
• Cut with notches, or according to a cardboard template.
• Bake on a paper-lined baking sheet in a preheated 200 degree oven until golden brown.
How to cook Czech gingerbread
• Cool the gingerbread, the next day you can paint them with icing sugar.
• For the icing sugar, sift the powdered sugar through a sieve. Whisk the protein with a few tablespoons of powdered sugar, into a strong foam. Add lemon juice and starch. Continuing to beat, gradually add powdered sugar. The glaze should be thick and not drain from the spoon.
• Transfer the glaze into a pastry bag with a thin round nozzle or make a small hole by cutting off the corner with scissors. Cover the remaining glaze with a film so that it touches its surface.
• We trace the gingerbread along the contour, and then fill it with lace, as fantasy tells us.
The traditional attribute of Christmas and New Year is fried carp.